Frequently Asked Questions

How can I get a legal separation?

This one is easy!  As soon as you (or your spouse/partner/wife/husband) decide and say that the relationship is over, you ARE legally separated.  Later, the financial and custody/access arrangements will be negotiated and incorporated into a separation agreement, or ordered by a Judge but you have a legal separation from the first moment.

Can I have my partner or spouse leave our home?

There is not an easy answer to this question, especially if you own your home together. If neither of you want to leave the tension can be uncomfortable to the point where continuing to live together is no longer an option. If you find yourself in this situation, meeting with me to discuss your options in light of your specific circumstances makes sense.

How can I leave when I don’t have any money ?  (OR I can’t afford a lawyer!)

There are many options which a lawyer will identify and discuss with you on an initial consultation.

How can I get access to my children ?

There are only a few and extreme cases in which a parent may not have access to his or her child.  For all the others, your lawyer can and will arrange custody or access – through negotiation or via court.  It is very important (for you and your children)  that you and your lawyer act quickly if you are not seeing your children

How much will it cost ?

It depends on many factors, including: the length of time you have been separated, the number of issues, the complexity of the issues, the willingness of each of you to resolve the issues or try mediation, the need for experts to value property, a business, stock options etc,  the mental health of you and your spouse (remember one of you may be very angry which makes interactions strained and challenging), the amount of money available to each of you, the desire (or not) to move on, your spouse’s lawyer. I will thoroughly discuss costs with you during our initial consultation.

Diana Carr

116 Lisgar Street, Suite 101, Ottawa, ON K2P 0C2
Tel: (613) 567-1431 | Email: